WINTER SCHOOL OF SNOW HYDROLOGY AND AVALANCHE SAFETY
A training course which will learn you how to understand snow and how to avoid avalanche danger.
FEB. 13 – 17, 2023, Patejdlova bouda - Krkonoše (Czech version)
Snow plays an important role in the hydrological cycle. It effects spring runoff and groundwater recharge which is directly related to the water availability during summer. Snow cover is also important for natural hazards, such as floods or avalanches. Snow often represents a key factor in many ecological and economical processes and many living organisms, industries and sports activities are related to this cool material. Understanding the snow dynamics is therefore very important in the environmental education.
Our snow specialists gained lot of experience in various mountainous and polar regions worldwide. They will share their experiences from snow hydrology research and mountain safety with you. In the course, you will get a basic overview of the current snow research.
What will you learn in the course?
1. How to measure physical snow properties and analyse snow profile.
2. How to estimate the amount of water accumulated in snow.
3. How to assess the role of vegetation and topography on snow accumulation and snowmelt.
4. How to use drones for snow mapping.
5. How to use avalanche equipment and stay safe in an avalanche terrain.