Plant Biodiversity and Evolution research group (PBE) at the Faculty of Environmental Sciences CZU is primarily focused on fundamental questions concerning the origin, evolution and diversification of plants. The research is combining systematics, morphology, karyology, population and molecular genetics and vegetation science.
The major theme uniting these different approaches is phylogeography, which we use to understanding the way in which the climatic oscillation of the Quaternary Period have shaped the distribution of genetic structure of extant tree and herb species provides insight into the processes driving species diversification, distribution and survival. Broad areas of interest include:
- Plant systematics and phylogeny of taxonomically critical plant species groups
- Phylogeny and phytogeography of Chenopodium species
- Polyploidy and genome evolution
- Species distribution modelling
- Forest vegetation and ecology